Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Blog #9 Assignment





     I have really enjoyed this online class. The service learning aspect of this course, provided me with a window into real time teaching. I was able to work with a special needs student as well as watch her interactions with normal peers in a classroom setting.
      While my student was working with her special ed. teachers, I stayed in the classroom and helped the class teacher do different projects. I was able to help in grading, assessments and providing extra help to students.  I did everything from lunch room duty to recess. I experienced firsthand the many hats that a teacher can wear in a day.
       I had my group interview last week to be accepted into the Elementary Ed. program.  I was ready to go into it full steam when I was pulled aside and told about the new grant that they have for those students wanting to major in special ed., with a minor in Autism.  Now I am a bit conflicted as to what I want to do. I plan on applying for the scholarship and see where that takes me. Without the service learning that I did for this class, I never would have had the opportunity to work with special needs and experience the joy and fulfillment they can bring a teacher.  

No comments:

Post a Comment