Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Standards and Accountability

   



 One standard that I have noticed in the classroom I volunteer in is the Math Standards.  I think that I have noticed it the most because it is a new way of learning. I really like how she teaches the students a concept in Math and gives them multiple ways of solving it. She then, turns around and has the students teach her and the class how they solved it.   When I was in school, we learned Math but never really why. We memorized our times tables but never really understood what 3x5 meant where with these new standards, the children learn the method behind a math problem and how all different kinds of solutions came come up with the same answer. It empowers children to think and know that different is OK as long as they understand the concept. they also use a lot of awesome programs like I-READY math that gages what a student knows and adjust accordingly so that students don't feel like they are failing but will get extra problems to help them learn.  
     One standard that I haven't seen much of in the classroom is art.  I don't ever see art projects hanging up in the classroom. Sometimes I feel like the teachers have so much  on their plate that they let something else go or else they touch on it just a little bit. I think they focus more heavily on the subjects that the students will be tested on.

No comments:

Post a Comment