Friday, April 15, 2016

Classroom Assesment

   

Keeping a blog about my service learning has been so helpful in assessing myself.  I have grown and learned so much. I honestly had no idea what engaged learning was! Being in a classroom, I have been able to be an observer as opposed to when I  substitute teach where I am just trying to survive the day. I actually have used some of the tools that I have learned, to better help me when I sub.  
     My biggest growth has been the engaged learning. I have noticed how much better kids respond and learn when they are engaged. I love how the teacher in my class teaches a concept and then has them teach her. I love how she lets them know that there is no wrong way to solve a math problem and how proud the kids are when they actually come up with a different way to solve something. I remember back when I was in school that kids who learned differently just kept quiet for fear of being labeled different and therefor wrong.
     I have also observed how better behaved students are when they actually take a part in the reward system as well as the rules. Kids behave so that their peers won't be disappointed in them, rather than the teacher.
    I want to be a fun teacher who engages all students in learning. Who empowers and encourages their students and who go home every day knowing that I love them. I want them to not only gain knowledge but become kinder and gentler citizens both in the classroom and in the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment